I'm a US citizen married to a British citizen for 12 years. My settlement visa for the 5 year partner route was refused because the immigration officer did not feel the documentation I provided proved our income/savings is high enough. It is and I will be submitting an appeal. My question is: can I visit the UK for up to 6 months while the appeal is pending? Since US citizens don't require a visitor visa for up to 6 months am I likely to be denied entry upon arrival without a visa due to the appeal? I plan to bring all documents including denial letter, marriage certificate, copies of appeal papers, return airfare, etc. Thanks in advance.

closed as primarily opinion-based by user90371, Mark Mayo Supports Monica Jul 9 at 23:41

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Your problem is one of credibility. You've been denied a visa to live in Britain. If you show up at the airport looking for leave to enter as a visitor the border guard is going to assume that you're trying to bypass the system. It can be done, but you're going to have an uphill task persuading the border guards that you'll leave on time. If they don't bounce you immediately expect a very uncomfortable few hours while they question you and make a decision. – user90371 Jul 9 at 22:57
  • 1
    A long planned stay makes it harder, because you cannot have really strong ties to your home. – Patricia Shanahan Jul 10 at 1:09
  • You might get help at our sister site Expatriates, but this smells like a question for an immigration lawyer. – Michael Hampton Jul 10 at 3:21

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.