I'm an American citizen. I was born in the US, however I came to visit Ecuador on an emergency basis using my Peruvian passport. I lost my US passport and had no time to get one before coming to Ecuador. Can I fly back to the US with my Peruvian passport only or will I be denied entry? I have my US drivers license, and SS card on me. I don't have a visa since I am a citizen and resident in the US.


1 Answer 1


A US citizen cannot be denied entry to the USA, although you can expect to be held at the border for sometime while your citizenship is verified.

None of that will matter, because no airline will allow you to board a flight to the US with only a Peruvian passport if you don't have a visa.

You should go to the US embassy in Quito who will be able to issue an emergency travel document that will allow you to get home.

  • 4
    Specifically, the driver's license and social security card don't prove citizenship. Jul 6, 2019 at 17:19
  • 10
    If she has time to wait for one, she can also get a full 10-year passport at the US embassy. These services also appear to be available at the US consulate general in Guayaquil.
    – phoog
    Jul 6, 2019 at 17:54
  • 4
    Peruvians are visa-free for Mexico, so the OP might go there and try the land border. But the U.S. consulate in Ecuador is probably a better first plan. Jul 7, 2019 at 3:25
  • 3
    @HenningMakholm That may just as well make it worse though, if citizenship can't be verified at the land border. They aren't exactly friendly at most landborder crossings there.
    – Mast
    Jul 7, 2019 at 10:33
  • 9
    @Philippe how is that possible?
    – phoog
    Jul 8, 2019 at 3:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.