Suppose a Russian citizen who studies (hence lives) in the US [on an F-1 visa] wants to get a Schengen visa to visit the Netherlands. If they happen to be in Russia during a break, can they apply for such a visa through the Netherlands Visa Application Centre in Moscow, or will their application be denied (asking them to apply for a visa in the US where they currently reside) since they do not currently live in Russia? Further, whatever the answer to this question is, does it generalize to visas of all other countries, or is it specific to the Netherlands (or Schengen visas)?

  • not an answer, but a hint: on F1 visa you are not "residing" in the US (only green card will allow that), i don't know if shengen distinguishes between "live" and "be resident" – aaaaa says reinstate Monica Jul 3 '19 at 19:06
  • 1
    Not an answer but often the requirement is ‘legally present’. I doubt there’s any rule to prevent you from applying for a visa from your country of citizenship, regardless of where you’re currently living. – Traveller Jul 3 '19 at 19:08
  • 1
    I think some countries do require application from your area of residence. I'm a British citizen, but the Chinese consulate in Los Angeles was definitely the right place for me to file a visa application, because I live in Southern California. – Patricia Shanahan Jul 3 '19 at 22:24
  • 1
    @aaaaaa Where one is resident differs for different purposes. I was tax resident in the US for several years before I became a "Lawful Permanent Resident" (green card). – Patricia Shanahan Jul 3 '19 at 22:25
  • 1
    @aaaaaa For visa purposes, students are considered residents in the US while they live there. – Michael Hampton Jul 3 '19 at 23:16

You can request Schengen visa from other countries than your residence.

That might require explaining why it is a special hardship for you to follow the usual process, and starting a visa appication by explaining why you are a special case is not the best way to go about it. Officials like orderly, standard procedures.

Check if it is still possible for you to follow the usual procedure. If so, do it.

You cannot generalize.

Most countries reserve the right to issue visas to anyone, anywhere, if they feel like it. But getting into that special process may be difficult.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.