I'm having a layover in Guangzhou in a couple of weeks (a very long layover) and I was looking forward to visiting Hong Kong for the day as I know a few people there. However, I think this means I cannot use the visa free transit period since I am leaving the Chinese mainland and re-entering. However, I have two passports, an Australian one and an Italian one. I was wondering if I could land in Guangzhou, use my Australian passport for the visa free period, enter Hong Kong, then re-enter China with my Italian passport, and use the 24 hour transit time for Guangzhou from Hong kong with the Italian passport? Let me know if this makes sense. Thanks!

  • 2
    I don't think you even need two passports for this: it sounds like you can structure your trip as two separate legal 24-hr transits, namely X-CAN-HKG and HKG-CAN-Y? From China's point of view your first transit ends the minute you enter HKG. – lambshaanxy Jul 1 '19 at 1:02
  • 2
    Not directed at your particular situation and not an answer however generally any immigration restrictions on a person are tied to the person, not the passport and hence mixing and matching passports by dual nationals to circumvent such restrictions is not allowed and many times explicitly forbidden. – user 56513 Jul 1 '19 at 7:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.