I am a Filipino passport holder and let's just say that I currently have a valid visa (and am living in) an Eastern European country that is not part of the Schengen system. Should I want to visit a Western European country could I apply for a visa at the country where I am currently staying in the Balkans?


Yes, you can - but they want to see a justification why you're not applying from within your home country.

enter image description here

The justification can be as simple as "I'm living in this country (please see attached copy of my residence permit)".

  • Actually, being a residence of the country where you apply is a requirement for French visa at least. So being a tourist is not enough, even if you have good reasons. – guigui42 Mar 7 '13 at 3:15
  • 1
    @guigui42 if that is true then the French are not implementing the relevant part of the Schengen visa code. This code calls for consulates to process visa applications for non-residents who have a good reason not to apply in their home country. – phoog Nov 11 '15 at 22:29
  • @Jonas if someone is living in a country, then that person is generally a resident of the country, not a non-resident. – phoog Nov 11 '15 at 22:37

protected by phoog Jun 1 '17 at 13:35

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.