This question already has an answer here:

Can I return to Austria in a few days to be with my daughter. I am a US citizen and have 2 yr leave to remain visa visa. My daughter needs me here in Austria.

May I just say that my 2 year leave to remain visa is for the UK.

marked as duplicate by CMaster, user90371, David Richerby, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo, Ali Awan Jun 25 at 11:08

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


You can stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days in any 180 (the 90/180 rule1). If you've already been in the area for 90 days you must stay away for 90 days before you return.

Be aware that if you return after 90 days, planning to stay for another 90 days, sooner or later you will be denied entry as it will appear that you are trying to live in the Schengen area through repeated visits.

There is no way to extend your stay under the 90/180 rule. If you wish to stay longer you must apply for a national visa D that will permit a stay of up to six months. More than that will require a residence permit.

1Codified in Regulation (EU) 610/2013

  • Does it matter that my daughter is under 21 and has hidden disabilities? She would be travelling with me. – evie schiller Jun 25 at 11:20
  • She is an EU citizen – evie schiller Jun 25 at 11:22
  • 1
    @evieschiller No – Josef Jun 25 at 11:39
  • @evieschiller, the citizenship connection may matter if and when you apply for an Austrian long-stay visa. Questions about that as best asked on Expatriates Stack Exchange. – o.m. Jun 25 at 15:57

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.