I am going to Sweden this summer to take part in an art competition. I have an invitation letter from the organizer in Sweden, plus my main purpose of going to the Schengen area is to be at this competition. But because I have some other travel plans, I decided to submit a tourist visa application to the Swedish embassy in my home country. My trip agenda is superbly detailed and very truthful; all my hotels are booked.
After the competition (5 days), I plan to travel to Norway (7 days). When I was submitting the application at VFS for Swedish visas, the VFS staff didn't say anything and accepted my dossier. The next day, VFS said I should apply for a Norwegian visa instead, because my stay in Norway is longer.
What would be the best solution now? Clearly it would sound weird if I give the Norwegian embassy an invitation letter to go to Sweden. But now my application is already with the Swedish embassy, and I could do nothing about it. What is the likelihood of being rejected? Should I wait for 15 days and pray? Or should I ask the embassy to retrieve my application?
Is number of nights spent the only criteria in determining which country the main destination is?