I am currently a Canadian citizen, I got my citizenship in 2015.

In 1998 I entered the US under tourist Visa Program B2 Visa, I was an Algerian citizen at that time. In 2000 I got married to a US citizen and I applied for my Green Card, I was denied in October 2001 and my wife told immigration officer that I married to get my green card. My application got denied and I was given removal proceeding but never been contacted again my Immigration. In 2003 I applied for asylum based on sexual orientation and I was granted to stay in USA. In 2006 I left US and came to Canada. How can I check if I can travel back to US without facing problems?

  • 3
    After you were granted asylum, did you apply for permanent residency? If you maintained status until you left the USA, you don’t have a problem with inadmissibility. Being granted asylum cured your previous sham marriage issue. Commented Jun 14, 2019 at 22:25
  • 1
    @user56513 is there any chance you could post that as an answer with a reference?
    – phoog
    Commented Jun 15, 2019 at 2:01
  • Under section 204(c) of the INA, an alien who for whom it is determined has previously sought status based on a fraudulent marriage (whether or not he or she obtained such status) is precluded from having an immigrant visa petition under section 204(b) approved on his or her behalf. This covers family-sponsored and employment-based immigrant visa petitions. Commented Jun 15, 2019 at 8:01
  • 3
    Ultimately an easy and stress free method to definitely know you’re inadmissible is to try entering the USA by road. If you’re inadmissible they’ll turn you around and you just drive back into Canada 😁 Commented Jun 15, 2019 at 8:26
  • 2
    Please enter answers into the answer field.
    – WGroleau
    Commented Aug 15, 2019 at 0:03

1 Answer 1


Normally when you are residing in the US with conditional status, you can travel freely, but it is advised that you notify the USCIS of your travel plans prior. Your case is definitely exceptional given your prior history. You should consult a good immigration attorney, if you are worried rather than just look for advice on the internet. They will be able to explain the true nature of your status.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .