My girlfriend is applying for a J1 visa to study in Texas for 5 months and 15 days. I want to travel with her and stay with her the whole time. I will not study or work there.
I'm Brazillian and already have a B1/B2 visa with an expiration date in 2029 and as I'm not married, I can`t apply for a J2 visa.
Relevant facts about me:
- As I will stay 5 and half months, I will quit my job and I will live with my savings and with my girlfriend scholarship funding.
- Enough funds to stay for the whole time (I will bring 10K US with me, it is enough?).
- No houses in Brazil. Just a car, bank account, some furniture, etc.
- Parents and siblings in Brazil.
- Would travel starting around August 2019 and come back in January 2020.
- Will be there with airlines round-trip tickets purchased.
- Me and my girlfriend will travel in the same flight.
I traveled to Chicago this year (May) to stay for 1 week and the officer gave me 6 months stamp, expiring in November 2019. So, I believe that there will be no problem to stay 6 months according to law.
But it is safe to travel there because I will stay there for a long time with my girlfriend which have a different visa?