I left Ukraine when I was 8, moved to the UK in 2005.
I was born in Ukraine but permanently reside in the UK, have British Citizenship and a British Passport.
Will I have any problems with going back to Ukraine? I have never had a Ukrainian passport. My mum is convinced there will be problems at the border because Ukraine does not recognise dual citizenship. She is worried that I will not be able to leave Ukraine on my return journey back to the UK. Especially because I am 22, male and have not registered on anything in Ukraine, including military service (as I do not live there). I don’t think I have officially declared that I am a permanent resident in the UK either - but I’m not sure if I have to do that?
Has anyone ever had any problems with traveling there and back? Especially my age. What should I expect?
- I gained British Citizenship a few months ago, when I was 21 (before my birthday).
- I do not have a Ukrainian passport at all.
- I had a child travel document but that expired in 2008.
- My birth certificate is Ukrainian.
- Both of my birth parents are Ukrainian and held Ukrainian citizenship when I was born.