When taking the ferry from Belfast to Liverpool do you need identification?


1 Answer 1


In general, yes you will need some form of identification, even if you are British or Irish (counterintuitively, as evidence of this fact, so that you then don't legally need identification), but it doesn't necessarily need to be photo ID such as a passport.

The precise rules will depend on your carrier, but to quote from the Stena Line FAQ:


British or Irish citizens travelling on our Irish Sea routes do not need a passport to travel to Britain or Ireland but are advised to take a form of identity. A driving licence, citizenship card or utility bill will usually suffice. A birth certificate will provide adequate proof of identity for your child to travel on our sailings.

  • That information seems to be referring to travel to the Republic of Ireland, but Liverpool to NI might be less strict because it's not an international journey.
    – Joe Malt
    Commented Jun 11, 2019 at 14:15
  • It refers to "Irish Sea routes" which will cover both the Republic and NI?
    – 52d6c6af
    Commented Jun 11, 2019 at 14:16
  • I'm pretty sure this answer is essentially wrong. British and Irish citizens don't need a passport to travel between each others' countries but, as you say, they do need some way of proving that they're British or Irish, which often ends up being a passport. But this is a ferry from Northern Ireland to England. This is an entirely domestic journey within the UK, just like taking a train from England to Scotland. Commented Jun 11, 2019 at 14:17
  • @DavidRicherby Not necessarily. I have experienced random id checks on Stena Line's routes in Scandinavia, where there is also no official requirement to carry a passport. The reason is the same why many airlines check identification (also on domestic flights), that they want to make sure that the name on the ticket matches with the passenger. Commented Jun 11, 2019 at 14:24
  • 1
    @Ben If it's the legal side which interests you, this is the wrong site. Having said that whatdotheyknow.com/request/legal_basis_for_in_country_passe might be a reasonable resource to start from on that front.
    – origimbo
    Commented Jun 11, 2019 at 15:17

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .