I'm travelling from NYC to Oregon on the 20th of June, and just now I checked my passport and realized it had expired in April. If I want to renew my passport, I either have to wait 8 weeks or more to get it done without paying, or pay over 100 dollars to get it expedited.

My question is: I have a learner's permit issued by the state of New York. Can I use that in place of a passport when travelling?

  • There's a list of acceptable ID at the TSA web site. If your learner's permit is a photo ID you might be in luck.
    – user90371
    Commented Jun 9, 2019 at 7:15
  • 1
    The TSA is generally ok with expired ID if it's recently expired, so your passport that expired in April is likely acceptable even if the learner's permit does not qualify. Commented Jun 9, 2019 at 8:44


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .