I'm going on an internship in the USA this Summer. I already received my J-1 Visa but I was wondering if I still have to apply for ESTA. Is this the case?

  • No. You can only have one status in the USA. With J-1 you don't need ESTA. Don't get confused. – user 56513 Jun 5 '19 at 18:00
  • If you have a passport that makes you eligible for the visa waiver program, you should present it to the immigration officer open to the page with your J-1 visa. Otherwise you might be mistakenly admitted under the VWP (even if you haven't applied for ESTA). – phoog Jun 5 '19 at 21:16

Visa holders do not need to apply for ESTA to travel to the US for the purpose of their visa.

If you intend to travel to the US for a different purpose than the one permitted by your visa, i.e. you want to go on a holiday but not start your exchange program, then you need to apply for ESTA to travel under the Visa Waiver Program. (But if you do that, as I understand it, you have to exit and re-enter the US to change to J-1 status.)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.