I am travelling with my wife who holds a Bangladeshi passport with full rights to reside in the UK. Can she travel and get a visa at the border?

closed as unclear what you're asking by Ali Awan, Robert Columbia, CMaster, Michael Hampton, B.Liu Jun 5 at 23:32

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    with full rights to reside in the uk What do you mean by this? What specifically is her immigration status? – MJeffryes Jun 5 at 14:02
  • 3
    Where are you travelling from and to? – Chris H Jun 5 at 14:07
  • 4
    I'm guessing that, since you've tagged this 'schengen', that you're travelling from the UK, to France through the tunnel? – brhans Jun 5 at 14:08
  • 1
    There's no such thing as visas on arrival in the UK or Schengen. Either you don't need a visa because you are from a country the citizens of which don't need one (EU and visa waiver countries, i.e. countries listed on Annex II in the case of Schengen), or you need a visa, and you will need to get that in advance. – jcaron Jun 5 at 15:52
  • Can you also clarify what your own status us (i.e. citizenship and/or residence)? If you are an EU citizen, does she have an article 10 residence card? Are you travelling together? – jcaron Jun 5 at 15:53

Neither the UK nor the Schengen area (which includes France) issues visas on arrival. Whichever way you're travelling, if your wife needs a visa, she needs to get it before you set off.

  • 1
    The Article 35 of the Schengen Visa Code deals with the exceptions on issuing a visa upon entry. Proving that it was not possible to get a visa in a normal manor to their satisfaction is one of them. – Mark Johnson Jun 6 at 3:48
  • @MarkJohnson OK, but that's surely designed to cover things like long-haul flights making emergency landings in Schengen. It's hard to imagine a situation in which this would apply to a Eurostar trip. – David Richerby Jun 6 at 8:57
  • Yes, these are exceptions. Passport lost while outside, entering without proof with new passport etc. For the UK also a possibility that an Immigration Officer would take into consideration when considering granting leave to enter. – Mark Johnson Jun 6 at 9:33

If you need a visa for the UK (you can easily check on https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa) you must apply and your application must be approved before you travel to and arrive in the UK.
AFAIK Visa are NOT issued on arrival.

  • Would the downvoters care to explain the downvotes? – jcaron Jun 5 at 15:54
  • 1
    I agree, no visa on arrival in the UK. – Willeke Jun 5 at 15:55
  • 1
    It looks to me like the OP is asking about travel to France, not the UK. – DJClayworth Jun 5 at 17:31
  • 5
    It looks to me that the Eurotunnel is somehow involved, I wouldn't dare guessing which direction OP is going. – gnasher729 Jun 5 at 18:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.