I am a 25 year old Indian male currently employed in India, but I'll be quitting my job in a couple weeks. I wish to travel to the Schengen area next month for a vacation before I go to the US for education (I have an F1 visa). This would be my first time travelling to the Schengen area.

What should I fill in as the employment status in the visa application? I am technically currently working, but I can't arrange an NOC from the company since I am in the notice period and the vacation dates are beyond when I am employed with them. Should I just say I am not working right now?

This risks a rejection because I can neither claim to be a student (I am starting a month after the planned vacation) nor claim to have retired. My age further exacerbates the problem due to immigration risks.

I can show close ties to home financially.

1 Answer 1


This constilation should pose no problem.

  • your employment ends because you are starting an education in the US, both of which you can prove

If you can show that this just is a stopover (ticket to US with F1 Visa) and can finance the time in the Schengen area, this should be treated as a valid travel reason. It is basically an extended transit.

Write a short cover letter explaining the situation and send it in with the application.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .