I am a Chinese passport holder living in the US with a green card. in 2018, I applied for a Schengen Visa from the Spanish Consulate and was approved for about a month. I initially intended to go to Spain but had some last minute change of itinerary so ended up going to Italy, not Spain at all.
This year, I applied for another Schengen Visa with Multiple entries from the Spanish Consulate in the US for two separate trips:
- Trip #1: to go to a wedding in Spain in late June for 5 days; then come back to the US for a month
- Trip #2: to go to Belgium in late July for 4 days;
During the application, the Spanish Consulate saw that I did not enter Spain last year and was only visiting Italy. The consulate said I was not being truthful and reliable with them last time, and proceeded to deny my visa for the following reason -
- The information submitted regarding the justification for the purpose and conditions of the intended stay was not reliable.
I was confused because I thought plan change after a Visa was approved is okay, thinking isn't that the whole point of getting a Schengen Visa vs a country-specific visa.
I would like to get advice on what to do after my Schengen Visa denial. It seems like I have three options:
- Abandon both trip #1 and trip #2; only apply after 6 months and prepare an explanation for the incident; There is little chance my application in the near term will be considered
- Abandon trip #1 but pursue trip #2 at the Belgian Consulate - be truthful about the situation with the Spanish Consulate and let them know about the reason why trip #1 was denied.
- Repeal/re-apply for both trip #1 and #2
The Consulate in fact called me to let me know why my visa is denied. My friend, out of despair, wrote them a letter hoping they could consider. I attached an apology letter explaining situation and thought process from last year. But this proved to be no avail.
I go to Europe a lot - having traveled to Europe extensively in the past 5 years with 5 different Schengen visa. I am so scared that I am now on a travel ban, by all the Schengen member states. I don't know what I would do to overcome this setback.
Part of me is really upset at myself but also at the process. I wish I spent more time perusing the rules and regulations, but I did not. I actually googled this forum to see if it is okay to change plan after visa was issued and saw a post saying that is okay.
UPDATE: I spoke with the Consulate when I picked up my passport; the woman said I can re-apply only after 6 months at this Consulate, but for other consulate I can re-apply whenever. I think it is fairly obvious that I am no longer able to go to Spain for the wedding, but possible for another Europe trip in the summer.