I checked related questions, but they are more about visas, which is slightly different from my case.

I am a Chinese citizen holding a residence card in Norway. I have only a single entrance Schengen visa which has expired earlier this year. I plan to attend a conference in Ireland and a course at Svalbard. As Ireland and Svalbard are not Schengen area, I will leave Schengen area and re-enter when I come back. I am wondering if it is enough for me with my residence card, or if I need to apply for a new visa to enter Schengen area, (in my case just Norway)

  • 1
    Until I know, your residence works like a Visa. Also, I believe you will need a passport
    – Marcel P.
    May 22, 2019 at 12:49

1 Answer 1


Your residence permit is sufficient:

If your visa is from a Schengen area country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa.

This is confirmed by the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration:

Persons who do not need a visa to visit Norway (visa-free)


  • Persons with a valid resident permit or permanent residence permit in Norway. You must bring your residence card and passport.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .