I have a ILR in the UK, known as settled. My Cameroon passport is expired. I have applied for a new passport, but haven’t got it yet. I have the récépissé of the passport.

Can I travel to Paris for a week with my ILR and the Récépissé of my passport?


No, unfortunately this is not possible.

Even if you have residency in the UK, as a Cameroonian citizen you'll need a valid Schengen visa to visit Paris, and for that you need a passport.

In the longer term, if you've held ILR for more than a year you might be eligible to become a British citizen and get a UK passport, which would save a lot of visa troubles in the future.


No, you cannot cross the Schengen external border without a valid travel document. The only exception to this is EU/EEA citizens carrying national ID cards.

For a Cameroon passport you'll also need a visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.