I'm planning on using my laptop in Japan. I have a Type H power adapter: enter image description here

I tried using my Japanese adapter but it leaves the ground pin exposed, and either way it doesn't fit all the way:
enter image description here

Is there another adapter I can use? Or should I but another cable when I'm there?

  • I've seen this question: Type B power plugs in Japan, and while it did answer question on how grounding looks like in Japan, it didn't answer my question.
    – Kobi
    Commented May 17, 2019 at 7:38
  • 2
    Most of japanese outlets do not have grounding anyway.
    – Rambalac
    Commented May 17, 2019 at 14:59
  • I would use another adapter. Exposed leads is very dangerous. Also Rambalac is correct, most plugs in Japan are Type A without a ground. Commented May 17, 2019 at 19:05
  • 2
    It's an IEC 60320 Type C5 connector on the appliance end (aka Mickey Mouse). These are fairly ubiquitous, and should be easily available.
    – CSM
    Commented May 20, 2019 at 17:56
  • 1
    Kobi. If you plan to travel to Japan, Philippines, or the US you could take a take a power strip, and put a Type A plug on it. This way it plugs into the foreign outlet, and you can plug in all of your regular gadgets. Even better would be to put a Type B (3 prong with a ground), and then use an adapter go from 3 to 2 prongs. This way if you go to other countries you should be able to find type B to type X, and you have the safety of the earth ground. Commented May 20, 2019 at 19:16

1 Answer 1


I'd recommend buying a cable there.

Type H seems to be a relatively rare type of pin as your link specifies; only used in Israel and Palestine. I assume most shops won't carry an adapter for this kind of plug.

That said, the other end is a IEC 60320 Type C5 as user CSM mentioned, and those are readily available in stores in Japan at least. Depending on where you will be, you can go to a Yodobashi Camera store or BIC Camera (Don't worry about the Camera monikers, they have all sorts of electronics) and show them a picture or take your power charger and show them that you need a cable for the end you plug in.

Will probably set you back around 500-1000 Japanese Yen (5 to 10 USD give or take).

  • 1
    This is what I ended up doing. I overthought that one... :P
    – Kobi
    Commented Jun 12, 2019 at 0:47

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .