I'm planning on using my laptop in Japan. I have a Type H power adapter: enter image description here

I tried using my Japanese adapter but it leaves the ground pin exposed, and either way it doesn't fit all the way:
enter image description here

Is there another adapter I can use? Or should I but another cable when I'm there?

  • I've seen this question: Type B power plugs in Japan, and while it did answer question on how grounding looks like in Japan, it didn't answer my question.
    – Kobi
    May 17, 2019 at 7:38
  • 2
    Most of japanese outlets do not have grounding anyway.
    – Rambalac
    May 17, 2019 at 14:59
  • I would use another adapter. Exposed leads is very dangerous. Also Rambalac is correct, most plugs in Japan are Type A without a ground. May 17, 2019 at 19:05
  • 2
    It's an IEC 60320 Type C5 connector on the appliance end (aka Mickey Mouse). These are fairly ubiquitous, and should be easily available.
    – CSM
    May 20, 2019 at 17:56
  • 1
    Kobi. If you plan to travel to Japan, Philippines, or the US you could take a take a power strip, and put a Type A plug on it. This way it plugs into the foreign outlet, and you can plug in all of your regular gadgets. Even better would be to put a Type B (3 prong with a ground), and then use an adapter go from 3 to 2 prongs. This way if you go to other countries you should be able to find type B to type X, and you have the safety of the earth ground. May 20, 2019 at 19:16

1 Answer 1


I'd recommend buying a cable there.

Type H seems to be a relatively rare type of pin as your link specifies; only used in Israel and Palestine. I assume most shops won't carry an adapter for this kind of plug.

That said, the other end is a IEC 60320 Type C5 as user CSM mentioned, and those are readily available in stores in Japan at least. Depending on where you will be, you can go to a Yodobashi Camera store or BIC Camera (Don't worry about the Camera monikers, they have all sorts of electronics) and show them a picture or take your power charger and show them that you need a cable for the end you plug in.

Will probably set you back around 500-1000 Japanese Yen (5 to 10 USD give or take).

  • 1
    This is what I ended up doing. I overthought that one... :P
    – Kobi
    Jun 12, 2019 at 0:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.