I've seen a photo in Twitter claiming that someone managed to make an art out of immigration stamps, as follows:

enter image description here

Is it really possible to ask immigration officers to stamp in a certain way to end up having a similar art?

  • Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat.
    – Mark Mayo
    May 13 '19 at 0:08

This is not a photo of a real passport, it is a composite made for an ad campaign for Land Rover.

Genuinely producing such an artwork seems quite implausible to me, since border officers will want to place entry stamps so that the date of entry is legible, since that's the whole point of the stamp. While it's common to ask them to stamp on a specific page to save space, a request to stamp on top of an existing stamp will almost certainly be refused.

  • 1
    @BruceWayne It's not clear. What kind of idiot would fake passport stamps in a way that looked inherently stand-out suspicious? May 8 '19 at 23:33
  • 1
    You might be more likely to get a "fun" stamp on the incoming journey to your home country where you are a citizen. For example when I return to Australia with my kids (and australian passports dont get stamped), I have sometimes asked the customs officer for a "stamp" for my young kids (who think it is fun) and they often oblige. May 9 '19 at 10:43
  • 1
    @whatsisname As a stamp is an official signature I doubt any border officer would risk it for some "fun art" maybe with an in-official stamp, which is just for bookkeeping but not with the actual customs stamp
    – GittingGud
    May 9 '19 at 11:45
  • 5
    @DavidRicherby you're overestimating people.
    – ave
    May 9 '19 at 16:35
  • 4
    @BruceWayne I don't expect it to be so serious. I have two entry stamps for France exactly on top of each other, rotated 180 degress, which makes the dates impossible to read. I've never had an issue with border control, and I even sent a scan of it for a french visa application (they needed only the first one... but oh well).
    – Guido
    May 9 '19 at 16:49

If you have an old passport, that has been properly invalidated by the authorites (they cut off a corner where I live, I suppose that's the common practice), then you could ask the border officer if he might be willing to help your art project out by placing a stamp in the old one.

They might still refuse, accept that and move on. Also, do the rest of the world a favor and don't ask this when there's people waiting behind you.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.