I have a very long layover in Guangzhou, and I was looking forward to heading down to Hong Kong, before having to head back up to the airport in China. I am an Australian citizen, and I know there is a (72?) hour visa free period for me since I am transiting. However, this brings into the question of going to Hong Kong. Do I need a multi-entry visa for China or can I re-enter at the land border with the visa free period? Thanks!

  • The 72h TWoV only applies to air transits. To reenter China, you'd need a visa, but that can be applied at the border.
    – xuq01
    May 7, 2019 at 15:36

1 Answer 1


You are visa-exempt in Hong Kong aa you are an Australian citizen for 90 days:


(Hong Kong GOV Website)

A visa is required for China as you don't meet any requirements for visa-free entry. You can view visa types on the China Embassy in Australia website.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .