I am on a work visa in the USA and I also have a Canadian visa. I applied for Permanent Residence in Canada and have already done PR landing couple of days back at the U.S.A/Canada border. I plan to take the Alaskan loop cruise starting and ending in Seattle. There is a stopover in Victoria in Canada for just 4 hours.

Will I be able to board the cruise without PR status as I have not yet got my PR card and I am waiting for it.

Will I be able to board the ship without the PR card?

  • If your immigration visa is still not expired, I don't think you should have a problem with the cruise. I am not a 100% sure about it though. I would also bring your Confirmation of Permanent Residence document. Commented Apr 30, 2019 at 6:36
  • The issue is not so much going to be whether you can board the cruise, but how will you get back into Canada after it? Commented Apr 30, 2019 at 13:26

1 Answer 1


You should contact your cruise line. There are some special provision for US/Canada cruises (also depending on type of cruise [number of stops, start and end point]).

Usually at embarkation port your passport is checked. As far I know, on worst case, you may not be able to go on land in Canada, so you will just enjoy that half day just the ship. [On some countries, just being in a ship one must have the correct document, also without going on land, Canada, as far I remember, Canada is not one of such country].

If you have Canadian visa and no PR, you can use such visa, so you should have no problems.

I do not see problems for your case. Again: you can ask the cruise line: for US there are some relaxed rules (often US citizen do not have passports, so for US departing cruises it is allowed to use other documents).

[Note: the stop on Canada is done just for taxation/operational reason: a non US-flag ship must have one foreign port. Note: "ship flag", not the country of the cruise line]

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .