I am a Chinese national that studied at a US university before and am currently working in India as a postdoctoral researcher. Last year I applied for a B1/B2 visa to attend a conference in the US. I got the visa eventually, but only after the conference.

My question is: can I use the visa (which is multi-entry and has no annotation) for an academic visit? Specifically, I plan to visit my former Ph.D. advisor at a US university for one week but wonder if my visa can be used for this purpose and if there are any restrictions. Thank you.

1 Answer 1


With no annotation, you can use the B1/B2 visa to enter the US for any purpose allowed to tourists and business visitors any time during its validity period. It does not have to be for the original purpose of travel on your visa application.

  • 1
    You are usually much more diligent in sourcing your claims. I am under the impression you are correct here but it needs a source.
    – user4188
    Commented Apr 27, 2019 at 3:33
  • 1
    @chx There are quite a few. The first example I found is given here. That the US visa is valid in this circumstance is not seriously questioned by anyone. Remember that the visa only allows the holder to travel to a port of entry and request admission. They still have to demonstrate at the border that their purpose of travel qualifies. Commented Apr 27, 2019 at 3:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .