I am working in Germany and I hold a German blue card with a work permit. Now I am planning to travel to my home country for a short vacation (15-20 days). Should I clear/submit any other documents when I come back to Germany?

I am travelling back to my home country for the first time after obtaining blue card. That's why I have this doubt.


An German blue card is a residence permit issued in the EU uniform format. It looks like other German residence permits (that is, it's not physically very blue, though some of the background pattern is blue) except for the annotation BLAUE KARTE EU.

As a uniform-format residence card from a Schengen country, the card allows you to enter the Schengen area when you present it at the border, together with your valid passport or other travel document.

There shouldn't be a need for other documents. If you transit another Schengen country on your way to Germany, you may be asked to explain what you're doing there, but "I'm in transit towards Germany where I live" would be a fully sufficient answer to that.

  • I think all this confusion comes from the US system, where a few documents in addition to one's visa are sometimes required. – JonathanReez Apr 26 '19 at 16:51
  • 1
    @JonathanReez: On the other hand if your have a US green card, you don't even need a passport to enter, also in contrast to the EU blue card. – hmakholm left over Monica Apr 26 '19 at 18:17
  • The US doesn't have a direct analog to the EU residence permit. The green card is only for permanent residents, for instance. The EAD is a work permit (and is good for entry if endorsed as I-512 advance parole). That might be the closest thing. – Michael Hampton Apr 26 '19 at 21:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.