My girlfriend is a Taiwanese citizen works for a US based company from Taiwan. She wants to visit me for up to 90 days on an ESTA tourist visa.

While shes here she wants to sightsee, hang out with me, and work part time remotely from the hotel/apartment, note that she is an independent contractor for her company.

Is working part-time somehow illegal? From my understanding this is incredibly vague and I have searched for hours for a similar situation but have not found anything. Any advice with experiences or links to US laws would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your help.

  • 1
    I believe Taiwanese citizens are eligible to visit the US under the Visa Waiver program; is there a particular reason she wants to get a B-2 visa? Commented Apr 26, 2019 at 5:25
  • Sorry, I posted the wrong link before: I meant this one. Also travel.stackexchange.com/questions/44787/… Commented Apr 26, 2019 at 5:26
  • Nate - She wants a B2 visa to visit me as well as some of her friends in CA as the main reason. The issue being she needs to continue to work remotely for her US based company as she usually does while she lives in her home country of Taiwan.
    – Eli Gebler
    Commented Apr 26, 2019 at 5:39
  • furthermore, I have looked at the link about the Ukrainian citizen but I dont believe that was relevant to this particular situation as he does not plan on working but does plan on meeting his company. As well as his stay is short.
    – Eli Gebler
    Commented Apr 26, 2019 at 5:40
  • 1
    Yes, I understand the issue about working. I am just wondering why she wants to apply for a B2 visa (costs $160) when tourism, business and visiting friends are also permitted under the visa waiver program (costs $14 for the ESTA application). I don't think having a B-2 visa would make any positive difference for the work issue. Commented Apr 26, 2019 at 5:42


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .