Honolulu is my port of entry. Went outside to explore the island overnight. Now I need go to the mainland (san francisco) which I have the ticket and boarding pass already.

Do I need to go again to immgration since it’s going to mainland?



Hawaii has been a state of the United States since August 21, 1959. I am not well versed enough in the laws of the era to know whether you needed a passport before but for sure you didn't since that, now almost sixty years. Official source has this to say:

Hawaii is a U.S. state and therefore passport documentation requirements for U.S. citizens and LPR's do not apply.

You will need some TSA approved identification and REAL ID will change the list next year, nonetheless the statement will be true: a TSA approved id is both necessary and enough to fly within the United States.

  • This is correct for most of the cases. E.g. direct flight on a US airline. But for operative reasons you may get to go to an "international flight". e.g. stop on Canada, or from an airlines which use the 8th freedom (e.g. Japan -> Honoloulu -> Los Angeles) – Giacomo Catenazzi Apr 24 '19 at 8:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.