I live and work in Russia, and sometimes I find myself wondering about the job opportunities out there in the world. For instance, Fog Creek offers an internship program for young developers.

I'd love to travel to the USA for a couple of months to go through internship at some cool company.

On Fog Creek internship page (as I believe on any other), the requirements include:

Permanent legal right to work in the United States (includes TN status).

However, I'm not (currently) eligible for it, as I don't have the permission to work in the USA. My visa type is B1/B2, which is for business and travel needs only.

My questions are:

  • Can I obtain the right to work in the USA if I live in Russia?
  • What kind of paperwork is involved, and is it only required on my side, or potential employer would have to do something as well?
  • If I make an application, how would the US determine if I'm a good candidate? What would they be looking for?
  • I think this type of question is quite off-topic for the travel.SE.
    – VMAtm
    Aug 1 '11 at 11:53
  • 1
    It may well be. But visa questions constitute a large part of site's questions as it is now, and although the goals may be different, I suspect “going to US for work” counts as a form of “traveling”. I may be wrong though.
    – Dan
    Aug 1 '11 at 11:56
  • Well, I don't want to close this question by myself, let's see what community will say.
    – VMAtm
    Aug 1 '11 at 11:59
  • 1
    this is not tourist visa question , but work visa, i don´t think it have much with travelling but it is business question
    – SergeS
    Aug 1 '11 at 12:03
  • 2
    Thanks for the question Dan. This is a perfect fit for Immigration.SE but in it current form, it's off-topic on Travel.SE so I will have to close this question. Hope you understand! :)
    – Ankur Banerjee
    Aug 1 '11 at 16:05

The only plausible way of getting a work permit in the US is by getting a H1B visa. Normally for that you need a job in the US which is also ready to sponsor your H1B visa. However there are a lot of agents who help you get to the US by showing 'fake' jobs and sponsoring your H1b visa for a hefty sum.

If you have lots and lots of money (in the range of $500,000 - $1,000,000) you could apply for an investor's visa.

EDIT: There are also other ways of getting into US i.e. get Canadian residency and then go to US (much easier)

  • 1
    Thanks! I found some price info here, is it right that an H1B will cost ~$3K to the employer?
    – Dan
    Aug 1 '11 at 12:32
  • 3
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… - That will give you a picture Aug 1 '11 at 12:57
  • please don't advise people to break the law by circumventing visa requirements. Thank you
    – jwenting
    Jan 18 '12 at 13:25
  • 1
    @jwenting It wasn't advice, it was just info. Jan 20 '12 at 20:45
  • 1
    hi freethinker ... "there are a lot of agents who help you get to the US by showing 'fake' jobs and sponsoring your H1b visa for a hefty sum" This is just not true anymore. Everyone did this in, say, the 90s. But, simply, it's been stopped. Are you sure you're up to date on this, free? And yes, @dan, free is spot on regarding Canada. (I'm surprised you're not aware of that as a Russian! :) It's so common.)
    – Fattie
    Jul 12 '16 at 12:57

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.