I am planning to travel to Ukraine for a couple of weeks this summer by car, but the car is not registered in my name. I know from experience that other countries often have special regulations for such cases to prevent transport of stolen cars. I do of course have the car registration papers and a green insurance card valid for Ukraine, but do I need any further supporting documents, since it is not my own car?

I have already found a lot of conflicting information on the net or in different fora, so I would really appreciate if any answer would also link to official resources, be it in Ukrainian or English. I have already tried to contact Ukrainian authorities, but I don't get any answers.

My situation is mentioned in the travel advice for Ukraine from the German Federal Foreign Office. They claim that I need a notarized and apostilled power of attorney from the car's owner, which has to be translated into Ukrainian by an approved interpreter. I am however not sure if this information is up to date and this information is in any case not authorative. The subject has been discussed in different internet fora, where it is both claimed that an informal power of attorney is sufficient (no need for a notarization, apostille or proper translation) or that a power of attorney used to be required, but the requirement has been lifted completely.

1 Answer 1


One traveling abroad with a vehicle not registered in his/her name needs a user permit "Benützungsbewilligung/Vollmacht in german". You you get it from the German Automobile Club like avd which is sufficient to travel abroad with someone's vehicle.

But for Ukriane it should be notarially attested (see the source - Vollmacht, Federal Foreign Office of Germany, Ministry of Foreign Affairs Austria and Honorary Consul Ukarine).

For fruther information you should call avd, adac or other Automobilclubs in Germany.

Source: ÖAMTC in Austria

Source: AVD in Germany

Source: Vollmacht for Ukraine - notarized

Source: Federal Foreign Office Germany - "Einreise mit Kfz"

Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs Austria - "Verkehr & Klima"

Source: Honorary Consul Ukarine- "Ratgeber für Reisende"

Edit: One can`t say that information posted on differnt forums (without sources) is valid and the information posted on Federal Foreign Office of Germany or Austria which even recommend different Autommobileclubs for further information on Ukraine is invalid.

  • 1
    @Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Yes, they are not fully authorative organisations like Verkehrsamt but these clubs even issue international driving license, provide traffic information and even do §57a assessment (in austria). These clubs work together on international basis. The Information provided by these clubs is correct. Where as the Federal Foreign Office is responsible for country's foreign policy and not the documents you need for a car that you want to take to other country.
    – N Randhawa
    Apr 29, 2019 at 12:47
  • 1
    @Tor-EinarJarnbjo - Source? You are saying somthing that you know but you have no source?
    – N Randhawa
    Apr 29, 2019 at 17:25
  • 2
    Lets see the german law - § 20-22. There is nothing it says that you can take someone's car to germany without his permission (user permit) and no word about if the car is from other country (in the context) . Even the § 20 abs. 4 mention Automobilclubs to get proper documents (which you said are non-authorative in your first comment). I don`t think I have to check Norway law. So you have the information - use it or not - it is up to you.
    – N Randhawa
    Apr 29, 2019 at 22:05
  • 1
    I give up. There is of course no law pointing out everything you don't have to consider. Just as you won't find a specific law allowing you to chew chewing gum or wearing a blue t-shirt when driving a car in Germany, you will not find a law listing all the documents you don't need to drive a foreign car. The law lists all the required documents and since it does not mention that you need a power of attorney from the owner if the vehicle is not registered in your name, you don't need one. Apr 29, 2019 at 22:29
  • 1
    I am sorry, but your answer does not contribute with anything beyond the 'conflicting information on the net' I already mentioned and emphasized in the question. That is why I explicitely asked for authorative resources and that would probably be Ukrainian authorities, or at least not contradicting information from different foreign automobile clubs. Apr 29, 2019 at 22:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .