I was enrolled in a student exchange program for a two-week internship at a university in the UK, but unfortunately my visa's processing got delayed, and I received my passport with visa too late and missed the course. I hold a Palestinian passport.

Now I'm thinking to use my visa to enter the UK again this summer ,to attend a conference. I'm afraid that I would get rejected since my visa was approved for study, and the course that I was attending has finished.

Is there a risk in attempting, or I can enter the uk with no troubles? I do have the visa, but it's a short-term study visa, Type C.

  • 1
    This would count as "change of purpose" from studying to attending a conference. On arrival in the UK, the Immigration Officer would query why you did not arrive in the UK near the start date of your Visa - this would lead you to explaining there is a "change of purpose". This could invalidate your Visa. What nationality passport do you hold?
    – canonacer
    Apr 17, 2019 at 15:49
  • Palestinian passport , isn't there any legal spot which would help me get in without getting a new visa ? because sadly i already bought the ticket not knowing such thing would happen
    – Noor Odah
    Apr 17, 2019 at 16:24

1 Answer 1


There is definitely a risk attached to trying to use a short-term study visa granted for a specific internship to enter the UK as a visitor to attend a totally unconnected conference.

Immigration Rule 321A (1) provides that a person’s leave to enter may be cancelled at port or while the holder is outside the UK if there has been a change in circumstances https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-part-9-grounds-for-refusal

It would be advisable to contact the embassy that issued your visa to ask if your change of purpose of travel is acceptable.

  • Thank you sir , i'll surely do try to contact them.
    – Noor Odah
    Apr 18, 2019 at 4:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.