I am about to apply for my US ESTA, and there is a question asking if the travel to the US is in transit for another country. I am planning to fly to New York from the UK, stay for a couple of days, and then fly on to Canada. At the other end I will get a bus from Canada to the US and then fly home from there. Do I answer yes or no to the transit question?

  • 6
    ‘Transit’ typically means short-term (usually max 24 hours) travel across or through the a country on the way to another country. If you’re staying for 2+ days you’re visiting, IMHO. – Traveller Apr 4 '19 at 19:25
  • 1
    @Traveller yet a garden-variety C-1 US transit visa can authorize up to 29 days of presence in the US. It's archaic, I know, but there it is. The US really puts more emphasis on purpose than on duration. – phoog Apr 4 '19 at 19:27
  • 1
    @phoog I'd love to see the incredulous looks given to someone who applies for a transit visa saying they want to take a ship from Europe to New York, ride a bicycle (fairly quickly) across the country, and catch a freighter to Asia from the west coast. – Zach Lipton Apr 4 '19 at 20:00
  • 1
    @ZachLipton yeah, or just to walk from Abbottsford, BC to Tijuana. I suspect that the purpose would be deemed recreational rather than transportational, and a B visa required. – phoog Apr 4 '19 at 20:05
  • 1
    @AzorAhai that depends on the time of year. – phoog Apr 4 '19 at 23:01

Answer no. You should only answer yes if the sole purpose of your trip is transit. In your case, the purpose of your trip is twofold: one purpose is to get to Canada, but another purpose, however secondary it may be, is to spend a few days in New York.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.