My husband and I together with our 9 month old son wish to visit Portugal when we visit the UK in 4 months time , however we are resident in St Helena island , a British oversees territory . Our biggest challenge is that there is no consulate of any country on the island . Can anyone have information on how we can apply these visas . Thank you.

  • What are the nationalities of the travelers? – Patricia Shanahan Apr 1 '19 at 21:51
  • I am looking on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and it does not appear to identify the consular district to which St. Helena Island belongs. The logical conclusion then is that you should apply in the UK. But the VFS pages for the UK maintain that applicants there must reside in one of several UK counties. You'll need to find out which consulate St. Helena has been assigned to, which if it isn't one in the UK will most likely be one on the west coast of Africa. – phoog Apr 1 '19 at 22:13
  • At one time there was a French consulate in Jamestown. Is it no longer there? France still has it listed as an active consulate, at Longwood House, telephone 24409. If it is actually open, you should be able to apply for a Schengen visa there. – Michael Hampton Apr 2 '19 at 1:30
  • 1
    Also note that if you have a British Overseas Citizen passport you don't need a visa to visit Portugal anyway. – Michael Hampton Apr 2 '19 at 1:36
  • Thank you very much for your responses . We are Zimbabwean nationals and we are none holders of British overseas passports. The French consulate is not open anymore here. – Nkechy Apr 2 '19 at 20:16

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.