My wife and I are travelling to the UK. We are visiting a friend staying over for three nights. We then leave for Sweden for twelve days coming back to the UK via Scotland for 2nights. Do we need a multiple entry visa or do we just fill out the standard visa application?

  • When are you travelling? I'm not really familiar with how visas issued for one of the Schengen country works for others but to my understanding you need one issued by any of the countries. Unfortunately it will remain true only until Brexit is going to happen. Afterwards you'll most probably need separate visas for UK and Sweden.
    – Ister
    Mar 26 '19 at 15:46
  • 6
    @Ister I am afraid your comment is based on false premise - UK is not (and for a long time not been, if not never) in the Schengen zone due to the opt-out negotiated.
    – B.Liu
    Mar 26 '19 at 16:06
  • 6
    @B.Liu: It's "never". Mar 26 '19 at 17:01
  • Someone who may have been you asked "Should we then only add our arrival date and date of first departure in the online application?" I would mention the entire itinerary at the first possible moment in the application, so as to reduce the possibility of being given a single-entry visa. But do note that depending on your nationality you might not need a visa at all, and that also depending on your nationality, you might need a visa for Sweden. If you do need a visa for Sweden, you will have to apply for that separately.
    – phoog
    Mar 26 '19 at 17:13
  • 4
    On all questions of this nature, it is imperative to know your nationality. Mar 26 '19 at 18:16

The UK Standard Visitor visa is always issued as a multiple entry visa valid for 6 months, unless UKVI see a compelling reason to curtail the number of entries or validity period. Just provide the dates you plan to be in the UK in the application.

Edit: When completing the application I would provide the initial date of arrival and the final exit date in the ’Travel information’ section of the application. In the ‘Accommodation details’ section you can then enter your specific UK travel plan dates, and the address(es) where you’ll be staying if known. You can also use the ‘Extra information’ section at the end of the application to explain your plan to visit Sweden from the UK.


I'm guessing that you do not have a European passport and that you do not have visa exemption from either of these countries. In that case you will need a visa for the UK and another (Schengen) visa for Sweden. You're flying direct between the UK and Sweden I assume?

The UK has never been a part of the Schengen scheme.

  • 1
    +1 for pointing out that there could be two visas required for this trip (and, by implication of the stated assumption, that there might be no visas required for it, if the traveler's nationality exempts him from the visa requirement in both countries). Welcome to the site.
    – phoog
    Mar 26 '19 at 17:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.