Can a US Citizen with a foreign Driver's License drive in California? If they recently moved to the USA and is currently a resident of California?

  • did you find out what happens given that it is impossible to get a DMV appointment for months? – Fab Jul 1 at 15:49

Your citizenship is not relevant; what matters is whether you are a resident of California. Adult nonresidents temporarily in California can drive with their foreign or out-of-state driver's license (from their place of residence) without limit.

Visitors over 18 years old with a valid DL from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California DL as long as their home state or country DL is valid.

However, residents of California can drive with a foreign or out-of-state driver's license for no more than 10 days after becoming a resident of California.

When you become a California resident and you want to drive in California, you must apply for a California DL within 10 days.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.