My Macbook was stolen last week. I need a new one for work, but I am currently stuck in France until May 8th for my flight back to the US.
It seems to me that I have two options, both with major negative consequences:
- Buy a new or used Macbook in France
- pretty sure I'll have to pay customs taxes when I enter the US because it was purchased in France
- if new, have to pay French tax of 20% (TVA) on the original product, AND US customs tax
- Buy new, ship to my parents in the US, have them ship to me in France
- when receiving the package, will have to pay French customs tax (20% or higher?)
In either case, I see no way to get a new laptop without paying taxes twice. And I simply can't afford that. Is there any way to get a new or used Macbook without paying absurd taxes in both countries?
Edit: I am an American citizen working in France on a "travailleur temporaire/assistant de langue" (temporary worker/language assistant) - Type D multiple-entry visa. I have been in France since September 10th (7 months). In 2018 I spent a total of 8 months in France (January-May and September-December). In 2019, itms 3 months so far.
I work as a language assistant in a high school and do pay taxes and what-not. I'm not sure how this affects my ability to reclaim VAT if I purchase in France...