My mother currently holds a tourist visa to the UK. She's now in Manchester with my step father. She wanted to know if it was possible for her to apply for the spouse visa while she is there or does she have to wait to get back to the Philippines (in July) before she can?

  • 1
    She needs to go back to Philippines in order to process her application with all supportive evidences
    – SyedZ
    Mar 15, 2019 at 8:33
  • 1
    ^ This is true. But her visiting your step father is good evidence towards the relationship. Make sure she gets some pictures with him there, you can send photo's together with your application.
    – BritishSam
    Mar 15, 2019 at 9:46

1 Answer 1


She’ll need to leave the UK to apply for a family visa if she has permission to be in the UK as a visitor. Applying to switch to a family visa as a visitor in the UK is only possible if you have either a 6-month family visa as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner, or permission to stay in the UK for the outcome of a family court case or divorce https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

If she lives in the Philippines she has to go back there to apply for this category of visa (see paragraph 28 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-part-1-leave-to-enter-or-stay-in-the-uk) and to gather the required information https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/provide-information

  • About the "only" list in the first paragraph: is it truly exhaustive? What about people on work visas, for example?
    – phoog
    Mar 15, 2019 at 10:57
  • 1
    @phoog it refers back to the previous sentence which relates to her being in the U.K. as a visitor. I’ll update if if you think it’s unclear
    – Traveller
    Mar 15, 2019 at 10:58
  • That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
    – phoog
    Mar 15, 2019 at 11:50

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .