I am a US citizen trying to stay in Europe for a year. I want to live in either Spain or Portugal. Can I apply to both countries at the same time in case one does not give me the extended visa? I'm not trying to get two visas. Just trying to cover my behind.

  • Applications are recorded in the Schengen Visa Information System. Submitting two might flag up as duplicates ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/… – Traveller Mar 14 at 7:20
  • 2
    Don't try to game the system. – user59310 Mar 14 at 8:36
  • @Traveller National visa applications are not recorded in VIS. – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Mar 14 at 9:50
  • 2
    @Natbee Do you fulfill the requirements for a long-term visa? It is not foreseen for a tourist to stay that long in Spain or Portugal. You will have to take up residency and therefore fufill a lot more requirements than a 'plain' tourist. – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Mar 14 at 9:53
  • Yes. I am not going as a tourist. I am going as a pensioner. – Natbee Mar 15 at 20:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.