I have a valid American visa lasting till June 2015 but my current passport expires in June 2013.

Does the American embassy transfer visas onto renewed passports or am I expected to travel with the old one?

  • Incredible that they would grant a visa that is valid longer than your passport! Is this normal? I've never heard of it.
    – jsj
    Feb 9, 2013 at 14:07
  • @trideceth12: It is normal.
    – user102008
    Jul 17, 2014 at 18:33
  • @jsj most US tourist visas are valid for 10 years.
    – Mehdi
    May 9, 2016 at 16:12

2 Answers 2


Here's what to do:

  • Renew your passport.
  • Ask the authorities to give you back the old passport, mark the visa page so they do not clip it. If they clip it then the visa is invalid.
  • Whenever you want to travel to the US, take the old passport with you along with your new passport. Show them both.

Having the visa in another passport does not affect it by any means, as long as the page with the visa is not clipped. I have my own US visa in the old passport and things are fine.


Your embassy should be able to endorse the two passports for you. It's really easy. You just have to tell them to please endorse two passports together because you still have a valid US visa.

My mom has done that for years.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.