I have a residence permit of Denmark but have lost my residence permit card here in USA and got a re-entry permit visa (Type D) valid for Denmark from Danish embassy. The question: Can I fly to Norway with this re-entry permit (Type D)? Note: This is not duplicated question. 1) I am not saying transit via Norway. I know transit is possible. 2) I do not mean entering to Schengen via Norway and heading to Denmark, I know this is allowed. 3) I know with type D visa I can travel within Schenegen.

My question is different as for the officer in the airportenter image description here I just have a flight ticket to Norway. I will stay there for few weeks before heading to Denmark. Is this allowed? Thanks,

  • Perhaps you should post your update as an answer and accept it, but please note my comment. It is not at all clear to me why the Norwegian border police told you that. There's nothing on your visa that suggests it shouldn't function as a normal D visa allowing you to visit other Schengen countries.
    – phoog
    Mar 12, 2019 at 17:32
  • Really have no idea what to do, if my travelling to Norway with this type of visa is not against the rules, then why I should be denied. The problem is that we are a family of 3 and if we can not fly to Norway, this means cancellations of 3 tickets (no refunds), buying 3 new tickets to Denmark+ buying another 3 tickets from Denmark to Norway.
    – Alam_jorab
    Mar 12, 2019 at 19:22
  • hello, did this work out for you? do you have any follow ups please? I got a digital nomad visa for estonia I'm confused as well. Jul 31, 2023 at 13:23

2 Answers 2


Yes, it is allowed unless your stay in Norway will exceed the 90/180 limit that applies in Schengen countries other than Denmark. A type D visa authorizes the holder to travel to other Schengen countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

  • I'm not familiar with the kind of emergency document the OP describes. Are you sure it can be used just like a regular D document?
    – o.m.
    Mar 10, 2019 at 10:42
  • 1
    Not that it matters for the 'few weeks', which OP is asking about, but if you go into details, I am pretty sure that the Nordic countries have more lenient agreements regarding mutual recognition of residence permits, which pre-date the Schengen agreement. I don't think the Schengen 90/180 rule applies here. Mar 10, 2019 at 13:06
  • @o.m. The logical procedure for someone who has lost a residence permit outside the Schengen area is to issue a D visa, which could reasonably be described as an emergency visa. But under the Schengen codes, a D visa is a D visa.
    – phoog
    Mar 10, 2019 at 21:39
  • Thanks for the answers, I got a bit worried after reading some stories of people travelling from China with type D visa valid for country X while they were flaying to country Y in Schengen area.
    – Alam_jorab
    Mar 11, 2019 at 1:56
  • 1
    @MichaelHampton all D visas these days only list the country of issue in the "valid for" field. That's because it's valid as a long stay visa only in that country.
    – phoog
    Mar 12, 2019 at 17:23

I called Norwegian police border and they confirmed that I can NOT fly to Norway if it is not a transit to Denmark. They also said you may get a problem in departure point! I contacted embassy of Norway here in USA and they could not answer the question saying that my question is very specific question!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .