I have an upcoming business trip to Gurugram (Gurgaon), a suburb of Delhi which holds the dubious distinction of being the most polluted city in the world.
As a traveller, what measures can I take to minimize the impact of pollution? Open to any practical options (portable devices, rental, hotels with reliable filtration systems), with a particular focus on my hotel and office, which I can control to some extent. Some caveats:
- I'll be holding talks, meeting customers etc during the day, so wearing masks is not feasible.
- I'm interested specifically in reducing particulate matter (PM2.5 etc), and would also like a way to measure their actual current concentration in hotel/office so I can judge both risk and effectiveness.
- I'm open to portable air purifiers, which are widely available on eBay, Aliexpress etc, but would want some independent proof that they actually work.
- "Portable" means fits comfortably in carry-on baggage, so lugging along a full-size purifier is not an option.
- I'm not open to pseudoscientific junk like negative ions, ozone generators, UV lights, etc.
And yes, I'm aware that a few days are unlikely to kill me (I don't have asthma etc), but if there are sensible measures I can take, why not?
For calibration purposes, I've been to Beijing & Xi'an last year in summer (not too bad) and Delhi/Gurgaon in the winter about 10 years ago. Gurgaon was terrible back then (see own photo below) and apparently it's much worse now....