I am planning for a 3-week summer course with credits in the US. It was suggested to apply for an F1 visa, despite being the holder of a B1/B2 visa (travelled to the US a couple of times and never overstayed). What are the chances of getting an F1 for such short term course and the chances of having the B1/B2 cancelled if the visa response is positive or negative?

  • I think you'd better ask your school or the host school. I'm sure they have experience with cases like yours – Tung Mar 5 '19 at 7:02

The fact that determines whether you need the student visa or can travel on a tourist visa is whether the course offers academic credit.

If the course offers credit toward an academic degree, then you must be on a student visa, no matter how short the course is.

The US State Department states:

A visitor (B) visa permits enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate. Learn more about Visitor Visas.

Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is never permitted on a visitor (B) visa, even if it is for a short duration. For example, a student in a distance learning program that requires a period of time on the institution’s U.S. campus must obtain a student (F or M) visa prior to entering the United States.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.