I am from the UK. I am going on a cruise from Seattle to Alaska and was wanting to know do I need a Canadian visa/eta as the dock ships in Victoria BC? I already have an ESTA for the US.

1 Answer 1


You only need a Canada eTA if you enter Canada by air. If you enter by land or sea, you do not need an eTA. In no case do you need a visa for a short visit.

  • Thank you. That is interesting to know as the cruise line are insisting that I need one. Mar 2, 2019 at 13:08
  • 2
    Does it say British Citizen on your passport? Mar 2, 2019 at 13:43
  • @KathleenDonnelly Canadian eTA is very inexpensive ($7, if I recall correctly, currently about £4). If I were taking a cruise with an operator who said I needed one, I would probably just get it, even if I knew that they were wrong.
    – phoog
    Mar 2, 2019 at 19:37
  • 1
    @KathleenDonnelly is it Carnival? I just looked at their site and it is full of imprecise and incorrect information about travel document requirements, notably including eTA. You might send them to cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp or to canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/…, which says unambiguously "Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. These travellers do not need an eTA when arriving by car, bus, train or boat (including a cruise ship)."
    – phoog
    Mar 2, 2019 at 20:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .