I am planning to come to the US for a period of 5 weeks to conduct independent research as visiting scholar in a University. I will not receive any payment, and travel and accomodation expenditures will be covered by my home university (outside US). Is it sufficient the VWP or do I need another kind of visa? During the interview if the CBP ask me which kind of business I am going to undertake, is it sufficient to answer "independent research"? thanks a lot!

  • 1
    This should be fine. That's a bit too short for an answer, which is why I'm posting it as a comment. Perhaps someone else can think of more to say. – phoog Feb 27 '19 at 22:44
  • You might get a better answer on Academia. However, this is the sort of question that your university and the university you're visiting should both be able to give you a proper answer to. If CBP refuse you entry, you won't be able to use VWP again and will need a visa every time you visit the US. – David Richerby Feb 28 '19 at 0:23
  • Thus, ESTA should be enough to be admitted, without asking for any other kind of VISA, am I right? thanks! – user92877 Feb 28 '19 at 7:21

The Visa Waiver Program permits the same activities as a B visitor visa (B1 or B2).

The sort of short term independent research you propose is covered under B1 status and is explicitly listed as an example of a permitted activity by the US Embassy Japan (and likely many other places).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.