My friend’s parents have a house in Canada, I was wondering can we go there from the UK and stay for 6 weeks without an adult?

  • 2
    Your sixteen year old friend owns a house? That sounds rather suspicious. – Roddy of the Frozen Peas Feb 24 '19 at 23:03
  • 2
    @RoddyoftheFrozenPeas Probably just loose phrasing for "my friend's parents have a house". – David Richerby Feb 24 '19 at 23:26
  • 6
    From the uk, and yes obviously it’s her parents – Amy Feb 24 '19 at 23:39
  • 14
    "Six weeks", "summer" and "Canada" does not make sense in a sentence. Don't you know that summer in Canada is basically the last week in July? – winny Feb 25 '19 at 14:05
  • 1
    @winny Perhaps you've never been to the Lower Mainland, it's summer there for a least a few months – Azor Ahai -him- Feb 25 '19 at 18:29

Yes, this is possible. In addition to a valid passport and an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or visa (if you are not UK citizens/visa-free nationals http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp), from https://www.iatatravelcentre.com all children irrespective of nationality traveling alone are strongly advised to hold a consent letter signed by a legal guardian or parent with legal custody, containing:

  • authorization to travel (with another person, when applicable) and to be outside the country;

  • destination in Canada, also indicating length of stay;

  • the signor's address and telephone details.

The Government of Canada provides a sample.

Airlines typically allow 16 year olds and over to travel unaccompanied but to be on the safe side you should check what the airline’s policy is before booking. You should also make sure you have proof of sufficient funds for the trip to show to Immigration Officers on arrival, and adequate travel insurance.

  • 7
    Note that while the flight is probably fine, transportation locally might be a challenge (e.g., no rental cars). – chrylis -cautiouslyoptimistic- Feb 25 '19 at 6:28
  • 8
    @chrylis In the UK we can't drive at 16 anyway, depends where in CAN they go, places like Vancouver have so much public transportation they will be fine. (But since the UK has buses and trains in every town they might expect this to be the same there) – Uciebila Feb 25 '19 at 8:18
  • 5
    @Traveller Those parents who have let UK media scare them into seeing a pædophile behind every tree in the country may also be the helicopter parents who will not allow teenagers to spend six weeks abroad unsupervised. – gerrit Feb 25 '19 at 9:12
  • 3
    @gerrit regardless of the motivation, hitch hiking in the UK is virtually non-existent. The only "hitch hikers" I see these days are professional vehicle delivery drivers looking for a free return trip (to boost their income by claiming the cost of the return fare and keeping it themselves) with similar professionals, and carrying their set of temporary vehicle licence plates as proof of their job status. – alephzero Feb 25 '19 at 10:16
  • 5
    One issue might be health insurance and who can approve treatment if you're a minor. – mkennedy Feb 25 '19 at 12:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.