For sake of question, we are UK based.

Myself and fiancée are looking to book our honeymoon for September this year to Singapore. She will be taking my surname after the wedding.

The issue is that her passport, which is in her maiden name, expires in May, and we do not get married until June. We do not want to pay to renew her current passport, and then have to pay again to change her name after the wedding.

If her passport was not due to expire, we would have just booked it in her maiden name and changed her name on the passport after the honeymoon.

If we were to book the honeymoon via Expedia, with flights via Qatar Airways, would this be safe enough to do by using her name with my surname, and then apply for the new passport after the wedding seeing as there are 2 full months between the wedding and travel date?

  • Not quite duplicate, as that was asking about a booking in the old name with a new passport. This is whether we can book in a new name without a passport in that name
    – H Moon
    Feb 20, 2019 at 18:33
  • Are you certain that you must give the a passport at the time of booking? Most airlines do not in my experience require this. If your booking agent does, then the proper solution to this quandary will depend on their policies. Have you asked them? It is also generally possible to use a passport in a former name in connection with a legal document showing the change of name. Obviously it would be better to have a passport in her new name rather than being stuck carrying around the marriage certificate for the next ten years, but the possibility does exist.
    – phoog
    Feb 20, 2019 at 18:54
  • Is the question whether you're obligated to supply her last name to the airline on the booking website, at the time of booking? or whether you can get her post-dated name change on a new passport before travel date?
    – smci
    Feb 21, 2019 at 0:39

1 Answer 1


What appears to be an official UK government web site has a form for getting a (post-dated) passport in your new name up to three months before the ceremony. The person who will conduct the ceremony has to sign, too. [Link updated using @phoog comment]

  • 1
    The page for that form is gov.uk/government/publications/…. I looked for that page because the presence of that form on their site doesn't necessarily mean that the form is currently authorized for use. Another advantage of the page is that it also links to the guidance, which talks a bit about the conditions of this procedure, which include that the applicant will be without a passport between the time of application and the date of the ceremony. It also mentions restrictions that some countries place on the use of post-dated passports.
    – phoog
    Feb 20, 2019 at 19:05
  • @HankyPanky: Oh look correct use of country codes.
    – Joshua
    Feb 20, 2019 at 22:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .