I am applying for a UK tourist visa in the US, and I directly purchase the return label in the UPS rather than from the VFS, which I believe it's fine. But I just realized they might not accept "ground service" and I bought a UPS GROUND COMMERCIAL return label.

In their guidance for applying for the UK visa:

"To have your documents returned you must provide a fully addressed prepaid electronic shipping label (we cannot accept ground services and non-electronic waybills). Put your return shipping label and envelope inside the package, and keep a copy of the waybill for your records."

Did anybody have the same situation? Is that acceptable? Thank you.

  • 2
    Are you asking if the (pretty explicit) "we cannot accept ground services" in the guidance is wrong? Feb 20 '19 at 19:30
  • 1
    Sorry for the late response, but I successfully received the passport and the visa. It seems like the type of return label does not matter.
    – Xu Liu
    Apr 8 '19 at 16:41
  • @RoddyoftheFrozenPeas I don't see the word "ground" in the guidance. Has the guidance changed?
    – phoog
    Oct 6 '20 at 15:30
  • It's in the question's quote, in parentheses: "we cannot accept ground services and non-electronic waybills" which is "in [the] guidance for applying for the UK visa". @phoog Oct 6 '20 at 19:25
  • 1
    @RoddyoftheFrozenPeas aha, thank you, I don't know how I overlooked that. At any rate, the current text is "To have your passport or any other documents returned, you must provide a fully addressed UPS prepaid electronic shipping label as we cannot accept non-electronic shipping labels. You must your return shipping label is inside the package, and to keep a copy of the shipping label for your records," so it seems that they've corrected that apparent error, but not without introducing another error.
    – phoog
    Oct 6 '20 at 20:04

Go return the label. You should be able to get a refund, as long as it has not been used to ship anything.

You can then get a 2nd Day Air or Next Day Air label.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.