Is there a passport needed for a german citizen flying from ORY --> PTP directly?

What I have found already was:

"U. a. Deutsche können für Aufenthalte von bis zu 90 Tagen mit noch mindestens 6 Monate gültigem Personalausweis einreisen. Erfolgt die An- und Abreise jedoch über Drittstaaten, ist ein Reisepass notwendig."


Roughly translated: "If you are a german citizen you can fly to Guadeloupe with a normal ID (at least 6 months valid) for a stay of less than 90 days - in case you are not traveling from/over a third state."

I sent a similar question to visas-francfort-de@diplomatie.gouv.fr but they haven't replied for the last 1-2 months.


Timatic (the database used by airlines to show a county's entry requirements, and thus by extension whether the airline will allow you to board the flight) says you may enter Guadeloupe, an overseas department of France, visa-free with a German passport, or specific other German documents. Here's a copy-and-paste:

/ 18FEB19 / 1725 UTC

National Germany (DE) Destination French West Indies (GP)

French West Indies (GP)

Passport required. - Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for the period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

  • Nationals of Germany with a national ID card.

  • Nationals of Germany with a temporary passport.


  • So, to get this right, as a german citizien I can enter without a passport - only with my german national ID-Card? – Top Questions Feb 18 at 17:19
  • 1
    @TopQuestions Yes, that's what Timatic says. And...yes, I hadn't thought of text-to-speech readers. Thanks to both of you. – David Feb 18 at 17:28


Finally got an answer on an official site - here is this stated, 20th of February 2019:

Si vous êtes européen, vous pouvez entrer et séjourner jusqu'à 3 mois en France (y compris outre-mer) sans formalité particulière.

Vous devez simplement vous munir d'un passeport ou d'un titre d'identité en cours de validité, en cas de contrôle d'identité sur le territoire.

La possession d'un de ces 2 documents vous permet de séjourner librement en France.

Roughly translated:

If you are european, you can travel in/enter france for up to 3 (three) months (including overseas) without doing any paperwork.

There is just an ID or a passport needed to identify yourself (in France).

If you have one of both (ID or Passport) you are allowed to travel freely in france

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.