Let’s assume that I have enough money to actually support this... I’m just curious.

I am an American citizen, and I really like France. Given the 90/180 day rule for tourist visas in the Schengen Zone, could I theoretically live in France for 90 days, return to the US for another 90 or so, then go back to France for another 90? Could I repeat this (theoretically) indefinitely?

If the law technically permits it and it’s legal, what reasons might immigration have for denying me entry anyway? Money? Too many/too long of visits? They don’t like my face?

  • 1
    France has a visa that allows non-EU citizens to stay for longer than 90 days if they have sufficient funds to support themselves. – phoog Feb 14 '19 at 8:58
  • @Chris Cireface After a few visit cycles, it’s possible you could be questioned about the purpose of your repeated visits -‘justifiable purpose of stay’. As indeed you could be asked to explain this, plus show a return ticket and proof of sufficient funds, any time you request visa-free entry. Another reason could be if your passport did not have the required validity remaining before expiry travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/… – Traveller Feb 14 '19 at 9:20
  • @phoog do you have a link to the documentation for that visa? I’ve looked all over the internet and can’t find it =/ – Chris Cirefice Feb 14 '19 at 9:27
  • 1
    Remember that there is no obligation to let you enter. If immigration officer will think you are not a genuine tourist (or whatever reason you are traveling visa free), you can be denied, and so probably you lose the right to enter without visa. Note: other laws about staying more than 3 months could apply (social security, registration to a place, taxes, etc.) – Giacomo Catenazzi Feb 14 '19 at 10:54
  • One of the first questions that will come to the mind of the IO will probably be "how are you supporting yourself", which leads to questions about you actually working while you're there, which is of course not allowed on such a visa/visa waiver. Also, as pointed out by @GiacomoCatenazzi if you stay longer in France that in any other country (say you spend 6 months in France, 5 months in the US, and the rest in other countries), you may become tax resident in France, in which case you may have to declare your income and possibly pay taxes in France and in the US. – jcaron Feb 14 '19 at 12:13