My husband is applying for a visitors visa for the UK. He is self employed, or employed under his mother, working in their farm in SA. He gets regular income through cash and through his bank account (his mother wires money in his acc)

How do we prove his self employment? His mother does not have a business or a company, its like when you hire someone to be your gardener kind of 'employment', but not as a once of, but long term.

They live in a very big farm that needs daily maintenance and he does all the work. Would this even be called self employment or just under the 'savings'?

Do we just need his mother's confirmation letter and bank statement? as well as his bank statement for showing income for 3 months? 6 months?


  • 2
    @Senyora The employment situation you’re describing is never going get get past ECO scrutiny - the ’cash’ economy just doesn’t stack up when it comes to U.K. visa applications. If it’s a working farm then you need to prove that (certified trading accounts, mother’s tax returns, farm bank accounts showing wages paid to him etc). A confirmation letter from his mother is not going to be sufficient IMHO – Traveller Feb 9 '19 at 16:15
  • This is not about bank statements. I am asking regarding what kind of documents can he provide to prove his self employment under his circumstances. But thank you for the message. – Senyora Feb 9 '19 at 16:16
  • @Senyora If he’s self-employed receiving income, he surely ought to be paying tax via some means. Submit his tax returns. – Traveller Feb 9 '19 at 16:19
  • @Senyora I think the UK tax authorities would class him as employed so you need to follow that route. To see what self-employed means in the UK do a search for self employed IR35 and you will find much more. – mdewey Feb 9 '19 at 16:40
  • 1
    Thanks for the replies. He does not really have papers to say that he is 'self employed' legally. He also does not pay tax since hes not 'legally' employed. The farm does not have a bank account, theres no certified trading accounts whatsover. I suppose one would just call this as getting an allowance from family? – Senyora Feb 9 '19 at 16:46

He will not be approved for a visa with such a profile. Why would UK issue a visa to a law breaker?

The UK in evaluating a visa application is not only looking for evidence that the applicant will leave after the visit. They also care about issues like money laundering, tax and financial crimes.

Now if you’re saying he’s unemployed and sponsored by his mother that’s a different case. However he cannot claim to be employed with illegal (ie non tax paying non recorded) provenance of income.

  • @Senyora I know this is not what you want to hear but your husband is not going to get a visa and you’re wasting your money (and possibly risking a ban for deception, or frivolous applications or similar) if you reapply. He needs a) ties to his home country (job, dependents, property); b) a verifiable income source; c) proof he can afford the trip. He has none of those things, unfortunately. Even his mother’s sponsorship wouldn’t be enough because she can’t prove her income and this the source of his money if the farm has no bank account or trading accounts. – Traveller Feb 9 '19 at 18:10
  • 1
    Thanks Traveller. I am well aware of those requirements. I guess we're just going to have to wait and improve his current circumstances before re-applying again. I do not feel like risking a ban. – Senyora Feb 9 '19 at 19:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.