My friend, from Chile, is intending to travel to Sweden on a working holiday visa for 1 year (https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/Working-in-Sweden/Employed/Special-rules-for-certain-occupations-and-citizens-of-certain-countries/Working-holiday-visa-for-young-people.html)

When completing the application online, certain documents are required, and we're a little unclear on the requirements since it seems difficult or expensive to obtain some of them.


  • Airline ticket: presumably this means a return ticket (to prove he intends to leave the country after the visa expires) but airlines do not typically sell tickets more than 12 months in advance. The guidelines I linked above specify "have a return ticket or enough money to buy one", but financial evidence is required separately, so would it be sufficient to attach the outward ticket here and assume the financial documentation will also be taken as proof of his ability to afford a return ticket?

  • Health insurance - it's specified that non-Australian citizens require a valid health insurance policy covering Sweden, which he would have to purchase at a cost of around $500. But if the application were rejected, that money would be wasted. So would it be acceptable to omit the insurance certificate for now, again with the assumption that the financial documents demonstrate the ability to buy it?

closed as off-topic by Henning Makholm, Traveller, bytebuster, B.Liu, choster Feb 8 at 23:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.